The creative process can be a mystery. I frequently work intuitvely, letting my painting evolve to where my soul inspiration takes me. What allows me to source the imagery is part imagination and part my experience with art. Everyone has an imagination so I don’t need to teach that. So I teach things that will spark the imagination and provide skills that help bring imaginings to life.
It is hard to know where the paintings get their start so I decided to take you along on my process for the painting, Scarab.
I began by coating my canvas with iridescent media, giving the surface a sparkle, a first step to make a magical environment. I then sprayed water on the canvas and dropped in acrylic inks in blues, greens and a rusty red for contrast, that spread and moved through the droplets of water, creating interesting shapes.
Adding more color and spreading some to strengthen the color scheme, I started to see shapes that I wanted to draw out.
They started to take on the character of imaginary insects. I was having great fun with them but felt something was missing in the center and decided to add it.
You can see here where I first outlined the butterfly wing, knowing that the iridescent would evoke the butterfly.
As I added more color and strengthened the shapes, Scarab, was complete!
Looking to expand your own creativity? Join me for the Creativity Blast Workshop! A great way to blast through the resistance and let your inner creativity blossom! Your creative soul is speaking to you to let it express. Let me be your guide as we explore your creative expression and gain techniques to bring it forth in beauty!
This workshop is for you when
- you have wanted to make art but didn’t think you could
- you are looking for an intuitive way to express yourself
- you’ve made art but feel blocked and don’t know how to get past it
- want to create but don’t have the time or space
- you want a caring guide to help you create beauty
WE WILL USE
- paint on paper, board, canvas and in original art books.
- explore different kinds of mixed media with an emphasis on acrylic paint and watercolor.
- delve into creating textures you can see and feel.
- create using collage, stamps, stencils and art transfers.
- printmaking and learning the various techniques for printing without a printing press.
Most materials will be supplied by the studio and you needn’t carry your materials back-and-forth with you each week.
Sign up now! Scrool to the bottom of the page, fill out the form and make your payment. The workshop begins April 11! For more info and to register, click here. Any questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com. See you soon!